A BBQ dessert truly completes a BBQ evening. Especially when you have guests over it's fun to prepare everything on the BBQ. From appetizers and main courses to side dishes and a BBQ dessert. I previously made a BBQ apple crumble, and now I've taken it a step further with a BBQ apple crumble featuring salted caramel. It's a delightful dessert that you should definitely try!
- 100 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 125 gram Sugar
- 75 grams Unsalted Butter
- 3 Apples
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
For the salted caramel:
- 200 grams Sugar
- 100 milliliters Water
- 90 grams Unsalted Butter
- 125 milliliters Heavy Cream
- 0,5 teaspoon Salt
- BBQ with Lid
- Skillet (ø 10.6 inches / 27 cm)
- For this recipe, we'll use the base of my previous apple crumble recipe. This time, we'll make salted caramel when the apple crumble is on the BBQ. While you can make salted caramel on the BBQ, I find it easier to do it on the stovetop.
- Fire up the BBQ, aiming for indirect heat and a temperature of about 200 degrees Celsius (392 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Peel and dice the apples. Place the apple cubes in a bowl and add 25 grams of sugar, the cinnamon, and the lemon juice. Mix everything together and set it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, the remaining sugar, the salt, and the butter. Mix the ingredients with your hands until you get a crumbly dough.
- Take the skillet (or another dish with a diameter of about 10.6 inches / 27 cm) and grease it with sunflower oil. Next, spread the apple cubes over the bottom. Cover the apples with the crumbly dough.
- Is the BBQ at the right temperature? Place the skillet on the indirect part of the grill and close the BBQ lid. Bake the Apple Crumble for approximately 30 minutes. The crumbly dough should turn golden brown and crispy.
- Now, put a saucepan on low heat and add the sugar and water for the salted caramel. Heat the mixture until the sugar begins to change color. Do not stir in the pan. Let the sugar gradually turn into a beautiful caramel color. This takes 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the right color is achieved, immediately add the unsalted butter and mix it into the caramel. Stir this for 2 minutes and then, gradually stirring, add the heavy cream. Stir this for a minute and then remove the pan from the heat. Stir the salt into the caramel and set the salted caramel aside for when the apple crumble is ready.
- Is the BBQ Apple Crumble ready? Remove it from the BBQ and pour some of the salted caramel over it. You can now easily serve portions from the skillet. Serve the apple crumble with the remaining salted caramel and optionally a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy your meal!