A truly classic BBQ snack is the Atomic Buffalo Turd or ABT. A spicy buffalo turd. Strange name, delicious snack! I make them with regularity because they are easy to prepare, have a nice spicy flavor and are ideal as an appetizer beforehand! In short, ABTs are herb cheese nen cheddar stuffed jalapeños wrapped with bacon. Yes I said bacon. This is what you want!
- 6 Jalapeños
- 6 tablespoons Herb Cream Cheese
- 75 grams Grated Cheddar
- 12 slices Smoked Bacon (straight slices)
- BBQ with Lid
- Fire up the BBQ, going for indirect heat and a temperature of about 180 degrees Celsius (356 Fahrenheit). The temperature does not have to be very exact, so think about the other dishes you want to prepare. As a guideline, keep a temperature between 160 (320 Fahrenheit) and 200 (392 Fahrenheit) degrees, so the bacon can get nice and crispy!
- While the BBQ is getting hot, cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. As far as possible, the stems may remain attached.
- Now fill each half jalapeño with a tablespoon of herb cheese and sprinkle some grated cheddar on top. Next, wrap a slice of breakfast bacon around each stuffed half jalapeño. It's probably not necessary, but you can secure these with a small skewer if you like.
- Is the BBQ up to temperature? Then the ABTs may go on the grill. Cook the jalapeños until the cheddar is melted and the bacon has a nice color. This will take 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the temperature.
- When ready, remove the Atomic Buffalo Turds from the BBQ and serve immediately. Enjoy your meal!