Way back, I received a book of Jord Althuizen's, No Worries BBQ. One of my favorite dishes from that book were the Bacon Bourbon Chicken Kebabs. A simple, but delicious BBQ dish (the book is full of those anyway), of which I am now sharing my own version with you. You should definitely try these kebabs on the BBQ, because they are an absolute delight!
- 800 grams Minced Chicken
- 300 grams Smoked Bacon
- 80 milliliters Whiskey
- 200 milliliters BBQ Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dried Parsley
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- BBQ with Lid
- 8 (wooden) Skewers
- Basting Brush
- Fire up the BBQ and set it up for a combination of direct and indirect heat and a temperature of about 180 degrees Celsius (356 Fahrenheit).
- Are you using wooden skewers? Then put them in some water now, so they can absorb some moisture and do not get burned on the BBQ.
- Put the minced chicken in a large mixing bowl and add half the whiskey, the onion powder, the paprika, the sugar and the parsley. On a cutting board, chop the bacon in small pieces and add this as well. Finally, season with freshly ground black pepper and some seasalt and mix all the ingredients together.
- In another small bowl, mix the BBQ sauce with the other half of the whiskey and set aside. Next, take out your skewers and divide the chicken mince into 8 equal parts. Now knead each portion around a skewer and place the skewers on a plate.
- Is the BBQ up to temperature? Then place the skewers on the direct part (above the hot coals) on the BBQ and grill for 4 minutes. Then turn the skewers over and grill them for another 4 minutes.
- After this, move the skewers to the indirect part of the BBQ and brush them all around with the whiskey BBQ sauce. After 3 minutes, repeat this again and let the skewers continue to cook on the BBQ for another 3 minutes. Then remove the skewers from the BBQ and serve them with the rest of the sauce. Enjoy your meal!