Sometimes you come across recipes online that you immediately think "I want to eat this!". I had that a while back with a recipe by Dennis from BBQ-NL. I believe he had also come across it elsewhere and put his own spin on it. Anyway, when I saw these grilled cheese rolls, or bacon cheese sticks as Dennis called them, I immediately put them pretty high on my to-do list. And not unfairly too, because these are really good! I followed a slightly different preparation method and used the tip to add some more BBQ sauce, but man this is delicious! So put this recipe on your to-do list soon. Or better yet, put the ingredients on your grocery list!
- 8 slices White Sandwich Bread
- 16 slices Smoked Bacon
- 1 flat piece Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Coarse Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Green Pesto
- 8 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- BBQ with Lid
- Rolling Pin
- Basting Brush
- Fire up the BBQ, going for indirect heat and a temperature of 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit).
- Cut the crusts off each slice of bread and then roll the bread flat with the rolling pin.
- Cut 8 strips of cheese about 2 x 2 x 8 cm. These should be about as long as the bread slices are wide. Use a cheese that you like that melts well, but not too fast.
- Brush 4 slices of bread with mustard and 4 slices with pesto. Place a strip of cheese on the end of each slice of bread. Roll up the bread slices so that the cheese is wrapped up. Then wrap each bread roll in 2 slices of breakfast bacon.
- Is the BBQ up to temperature? Then place the sandwich rolls on the grill and close the BBQ with the lid. Now cook the rolls for about 3 minutes per 'side'. A total of 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, brush the rolls with BBQ sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the grilled cheese rolls from the BBQ and serve them immediately. Serving as a snack? Then cut each roll in three pieces. Enjoy your meal!