A BBQ, chicken thighs, bacon and BBQ sauce. It can't get much better, can it? These chicken honey pops are delicious as an appetizer or as a snack with a drink. The preparation is simple and does not take long and the preparations are also pretty painless. And when you come by with such a bowl full of tasty pieces of chicken thigh in bacon, everyone wants a piece! So make sure to prepare enough, because they will be gone in no time!
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 16 slices Smoked Bacon
- 6 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 6 tablespoons Honey
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- BBQ with Lid
- Basting Brush
- Smoking Wood (optional)
- Core Thermometer
- Take a small bowl and mix paprika powder, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in it. Now take the chicken thighs and cut each tigh into 4 approximately equal parts.
- Season the chicken thigh pieces with the freshly made spice mixture and then wrap each piece in a slice of bacon. Put aside for now.
- Put a saucepan on low heat and add the BBQ sauce and honey. Heat this through until you can easily mix the honey and BBQ sauce. Then remove the pan from the heat and let the sauce cool a bit.
- Now fire up the BBQ and prepare for indirect heat and a temperature of about 160 degrees Celsius (320 Fahrenheit).
- Is the BBQ at the right temperature? Then add your smoking wood to the burning coals. These chicken honey pops are already delicious without it, so smoking wood is optional in this recipe.
- Put the pieces of chicken in bacon on the BBQ and close the BBQ with the lid. Cook the chicken thighs for 10 minutes, then brush them with the honey BBQ sauce. Close the BBQ lid, cook for another 5 minutes and brush again with the sauce.
- At last, cook the chicken for another 5 minutes. It should now be about well cooked. Measure this with your core thermometer. Is the chicken done? Then brush the honey pops one more time with BBQ sauce and take them from the BBQ. Is the chicken not well cooked yet? Wait just a little bit longer until it is.
- Serve the chicken honey pops on a nice serving plate or bowl with picks, so that your guests can easily prick a piece. Enjoy your meal!