Today a BBQ recipe that belongs to the classics that you really must have made once: Chicken Lollies. Crazy name, but also logical when you look at the picture. In this recipe, the meat is cut loose from the joint, releasing the bone and serving as the stick of a lollipop. A lollipop made of chicken and bacon. You really want to try that!
- 8 Drumsticks
- 8 slices Smoked Bacon
- 4 tablespoons Chicken Rub
- 8 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- BBQ with Lid
- Sharp Knife
- Fire up the BBQ and prepare it for indirect heat at a temperature of about 180 degrees Celsius (356 Fahrenheit).
- Take a good sharp knife. Put a drumstick on a cutting board. Now just below the joint (the lump at the end) cut the meat all around to the bone. You can now move the meat so that part of the bone is visible, and pry off the piece of skin and meat covering the joint.
- Repeat the above with all drumsticks and then cover them all around with the rub. Choose your favorite chicken rub or make your own. Now wrap a slice of bacon around each drumstick.
- Is the BBQ at the right temperature? Add a block of smokewood and then place the drumsticks upright, with "the stick" up, on the grid. Close the BBQ with the lid and let the chicken lollipops cook for about 45 minutes. The core temperature should now be about 70 degrees Celsius (158 Fahrenheit). If so, grease them all around with BBQ Sauce and let it cook for another 15 minutes. Otherwise, close the BBQ for a while and wait until the core temperature is 70 degrees Celsius (158 Fahrenheit), then coat it with the sauce and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Are the chicken lollipops ready? Take them off the BBQ and serve them immediately. They can be held by the bone and the meat can easily be cut off due to the indirect preparation. Enjoy your meal!