I had often read about MOINK balls, but never made them. So it was about time. MOINK stands for the combination of ground beef and bacon. So Moo & Oink. Originally these MOINK Balls are cooked with ready-to-use Italian meatballs, but because these are not available in The Netherlands we have the official NOSKOS Rule which allows us to make our own meatballs. The MOINK balls are indirectly cooked and smoked, which results in a deliciously tender meatball, wrapped in bacon, with a wonderfully smoky taste. What more could you want? Nothing! So try them!
- 500 grams Ground Beef
- 18 slices Bacon
- 40 grams Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg
- 75 milliliters Milk
- 50 grams Breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Italian Herbs (dried)
- 1 tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons BBQ Rub (choose your favorite)
- 5 tablespoons BBQ Sauce (choose your favorite)
- BBQ with Lid
- 18 Cocktail sticks
- 2 Chunks Hickory Smoking Wood
- Put the minced meat in a bowl and add the egg, milk, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian herbs, pepper, salt and breadcrumbs. Mix everything well and turn into 18 equal balls.
- Now sprinkle the BBQ rub on a plate and roll the meatballs through the rub. Choose your favorite rub from the store, or make your own mixture of herbs. After that turn a slice of bacon around each meatball and secure it with a cocktail stick.
- Place the MOINK balls in the fridge and fire up the BBQ. The MOINK balls have to cook indirectly, so we opt for indirect heat and a temperature around 120 degrees Celsius (248 Fahrenheit).
- When the BBQ is up to temperature, the smoking wood can be added to the burning coals. Stick the chunks between the burning coals so that they will slowly burn and give off smoke.
- Now place the MOINK balls on the indirect part of the grill grid and close the BBQ with the lid.
- The balls can now cook for an hour. Check the temperature of the BBQ every now and then, but open the lid as little as possible.
- After an hour the MOINK balls can be taken off the BBQ. Coat each ball with BBQ sauce and put them back on the grid, again on the indirect part.
- The balls now need another half hour, then they are ready. Place the MOINK balls on a plate and serve them with the cocktail sticks still in it. That is the easiest way to eat them. Enjoy your meal!