Pork belly is a beautiful piece of meat that is perfect for preparing on the BBQ. In terms of taste, you can go in all directions with pork belly and in this recipe we go the Eastern way, with a delicious marinade based on hoisin sauce and soy sauce. You can add smoking wood to the preparation, but the taste is already great without. So get the ingredients and plan an afternoon in the garden, because you absolutely want to taste this!
- 1 kilo Pork Belly (without rind)
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 125 milliliters Hoisin Sauce
- 50 milliliters Ketjap Manis
- 4 tablespoons Dark Caster Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- BBQ with Lid
- Core Thermometer
- Sharp Knife
- Large Ziplock Bag
- Basting Brush
- For this delicious oriental pork belly, I recommend to marinate the meat the evening before preparation. To do this, take the pork belly from the packaging and cut in the fat side crosswise with a sharp knife. Then mix all other ingredients into a marinade.
- Take the large ziplock bag and put the pork belly in it. Then pour in the marinade and squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible while closing the bag. Now massage the marinade thoroughly into the meat and let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- On the day of preparation, you need about 4 to 5 hours to cook the pork belly. So fire up the BBQ well ahead and take the pork belly out of the refrigerator in time so that it can reach room temperature. When lighting the BBQ, prepare it indirect heat and a temperature of about 130 degrees Celsius (266 Fahrenheit).
- While the BBQ is heating up, take the meat out of the ziplock bag, but do not throw away the marinade. We will use this for the first few hours to brush the meat.
- Is the BBQ at the right temperature? Then place the meat with the fat side (that you cut in) up on the grid. Do you have a core thermometer with a probe on a wire, or even a wireless one? Insert the probe into the meat and close the BBQ with the lid.
- Brush the pork belly every hour with the remaining marinade and gently cook the meat to a core temperature of 70 degrees Celsius (158 Fahrenheit). Has that temperature been reached? Then take the meat from the BBQ and let it rest under a piece of aluminum foil for 15 minutes before cutting it. Cut the pork belly into slices about 1 cm thick and serve immediately. Enjoy your meal!