Smoked salmon, hot or cold, I love it! And you can easily prepare hot smoked salmon yourself on the BBQ. In fact, you only need a BBQ with a lid and a cedar smoking board. And a good piece of salmon of course! Hot smoked salmon is already very tasty without additives, but in this classic combination with lemon and dill it is even better!
- 800 grams Salmon (in one piece)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 bunch Fresh Dill
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Coarse Sea Salt
- BBQ with Lid
- Cedar smoke board
- Core Thermometer
- Before you start lighting the BBQ, it is important to soak the cedar smoking board in water for at least half an hour. We will place the smoking board directly above the hot coals on the BBQ grid and by soaking the board, it is less likely that it will catch fire during the preparation.
- Take the salmon slice from the refrigerator in advance, so that it can reach room temperature.
- Now fire up the BBQ and opt for direct heat and a temperature of 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit).
- Meanwhile, chop up the dill and cut the lemon into thin slices. First sprinkle the salmon with freshly ground black pepper and some sea salt, followed by the chopped dill. Then put some lemon slices on the salmon.
- Is the BBQ at the right temperature? Then place the smoking board on the grate, directly above the hot coals. Close the BBQ with the lid and leave the board until the bottom is so hot that it starts to turn black a bit and starts smoking. Then put the salmon on the plank. Do you use a core thermometer with a probe on a wire? Then stick it in the salmon now. Close the BBQ with the lid and cook the salmon to a core temperature of 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit). This took me around 30 minutes. Check every now and then whether your smoking board does not catch fire. Does it seem to happen? Then move the plank to a cooler part of the BBQ.
- Take the smoking board from the BBQ when the salmon has reached a core temperature of 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit) and place it on a surface that can handle some heat. Let the salmon rest for 5 minutes and then serve it while still on the smoking board. Your guests can grab their own tasty piece of salmon from the board. Enjoy your meal!