In the last couple of years Pork Belly Burnt Ends went from a hype to a true BBQ classic. Rightly so, because pork belly burnt ends are a delicious smoky and sweet BBQ snack made from pork belly. Cutting it into cubes and slowly smoking and cooking it will make the cubes butter tender and damn tasty. They almost melt away on your tongue. This recipe is definitely worth trying!
- 1 kilogram Pork Belly (without rind)
- 8 tablespoons BBQ Rub (choose your favorite for pork)
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 8 tablespoons BBQ Sauce (choose your favorite)
- BBQ with Lid
- BBQ Resistant Oven Dish
- 2 chunks Cherry Smoking Wood
- Fire up the BBQ and prepare it for indirect heat and a temperature of about 130 degrees Celsius (266 Fahrenheit).
- Now take the meat from the refrigerator and pat it dry with some kitchen paper. Cut away loose pieces of meat and fat and cut the pork belly into equal cubes of about 4 x 4 cm. Then sprinkle the pork belly cubes with your BBQ rub. You can make a rub yourself, or take your favorite rub from the store. Make sure that all sides of the blocks are covered with the rub.
- Has the BBQ reached the right temperature? Then add your smoking wood. Cherry smoking wood goes very well with the taste of pork. I always use chunks that I put between the coals, but do what you find easiest!
- Place the cubes of pork belly on your BBQ grid and close the BBQ with the lid. The diced pork belly may now smoke for 2.5 hours. All you have to do is check the temperature of the BBQ from time to time.
- After 2.5 hours on the BBQ, put the pork belly cubes in a BBQ-resistant oven dish or aluminum disposable BBQ dish. Now divide the sugar, maple syrup and butter over the cubes and place the dish on the BBQ. Close the BBQ again with the lid and leave it closed for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the dish from the BBQ and remove the diced pork belly. Clean your bowl and put the diced pork belly in it. Add the BBQ sauce and mix the cubes through the sauce, until covered on all sides.
- Put the dish on the BBQ one more time for about 20 minutes, so that the sauce can caramelize nicely. Then serve the Pork Belly Burnt Ends immediately, with some skewers. Enjoy your meal!