As a BBQ lover you are undoubtedly also a fan of large pieces of meat from the BBQ. That’s why you really should try this Tomahawk Steak! A big tomahawk steak is very suitable to prepare using the reverse sear method. In addition, this piece of meat naturally looks very cool with the big bone that you can use as a handle. Are you not yet familiar with the reverse sear method? Do not panic! In the recipe I explain what it entails and how it works. So get yourself a nice tomahawk and let’s get started!
- 1,5 kilogram Tomahawk Steak
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- BBQ with Lid
- Core Thermometer
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator at least an hour before you start preparing so that it can reach room temperature. If the meat is vacuum packed open immediately so that it can air out.
- For the preparation of a good sized tomahawk steak it is best to use the reverse sear method. With this method you first cook the tomahawk indirectly at a low temperature and at the end you grill it briefly over red-hot coals. This way you get the most even cooking and the best result.
- Therefore, light the BBQ and first opt for indirect heating at a temperature between 100 and 120 degrees Celsius (212 and 248 Fahrenheit).
- Take the tomahawk steak and pat it dry all around. Cut off loose pieces of meat and fat and wait until the BBQ is up to temperature.
- When I grill this kind of large pieces of meat, I only season the meat with salt and pepper after cooking, because the pepper in particular can burn during preparation. If you want to salt the steak before grilling then do this generously and like an hour before you start BBQing. Let the salted tomahawk steak rest in the fridge during that hour.
- Place the tomahawk steak on the BBQ when it is at the right temperature. Insert the probe of your core thermometer in the middle of the meat and close the BBQ with the lid. Now cook the tomahawk steak to a core temperature of 48 degrees Celsius (119 Fahrenheit).
- When the core temperature of 48 degrees Celsius (119 Fahrenheit) has been reached take the meat from the BBQ and prepare the BBQ for direct heat at a temperature of 230 degrees Celsius (446 Fahrenheit). Has that temperature been reached? Grill the tomahawk steak on the hot BBQ for 2 minutes on both sides.
- It does not matter if it takes 10 minutes for the BBQ to reach the right temperature for grilling, because your meat does not have to rest that long after grilling.
- Take the steak from the BBQ and let it rest for 2-3 minutes on a cutting board. Then slice it by first cutting the meat along the bone, after which you can cut the tomahawk meat into thin slices. Enjoy your meal!